Friday, June 16, 2006

Unrequited

UNREQUITED: adjective - not returned in kind (Example: "Unrequited (unanswered) love"), of a feeling, especially love) not returned or rewarded.

Music: "No More Good Guys" by SKINDIVE

Like many non-Bumiputera Malaysians, I was struck by the phrase in Yasmin Ahmad's film GUBRA, "It's like being in love with someone who won't love you back." Even when someone or something gives you so many reasons to walk away, or leave, hope can be an amazing, awesome force.

Skindive's "No More Good Guys" is the song that I will be using for our final project. I heard this song on the final episode of Season One in "Queer as Folk", just after a tragic bashing of one of the main characters.

I liked the sound of the song, which I felt was dead accurate, and went looking for the lyrics. Even within the pain of the song, there seemed to be a glimmer of hope and a searching for strength.

Soon I found the MP3 online, and after repeated listening, the song seemed to say that even from pain and suffering, if you looked deeper inside you'd find a reason to be hopeful.

It made me think of the line in Gubra, "It's like being in love with someone who won't love you back." And the pain that comes out of that.

I hope to use this song in a manner that tells all Malaysians that if we would take action, perhaps "the pain inside will stop".

Here are the lyrics (WITH CHOREO-CUES):

(Note: 8 COUNTS to a musical phrase, even counts on snare when singing begins)

(SUM OF THE PARTS) Musical intro (4 X 8 counts, FROZEN, on first half phrase - then into slow walk)
I died today,
but I'm still breathing,
bleeding,
for now,
I'm broken.

(**gunshot** - I'd like to insert like a Group Accent here)

You left me here,
Capsized and sinking,
thinking, right now,
there's no more good guys.

(Music swells)You left me standing here,
(Music swells) alone and colder,
(Music swells)I hope that some day soon,(BROWNIAN starts on 3rd swell)
the pain inside will stop. (FREEZE on stop)

(Music - Phew - ALL FROZEN)

(MELTDOWN - June) You died today,
but you're still breathing,
in my mind, (MELTDOWN - Hari)
that is,
there's no more good guys.

(**instrumental - 4 X 8 beats**)

(MELTDOWN - Mark)
(MELTDOWN - ALL)

You left me standing here, (roll and pulsate to form STEPPING STONES on standing)
alone and colder,
I hope that some day soon,
the pain inside will stop (STEPPING STONES formed, Myra starts climb on 'see me')
I hoped you'd see me,
I hoped you'd understand,
Or crucify me for my failings,
my cruel ambition,
hardly justified,
and the pain inside will ... stop. (Myra falls into Adrian's arms)
(Cannon to stand - walk in procession)

Concepts:

Group dynamics: Alone - Together
Movement - stillness: Message - reflection.
Tableaus - The epiphany

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home